Scripture: Matthew 21:1-11
What Are You Hoping to See?
By Anne Williams
Most of us on this journey of faith can comfortably assert the belief that God is present with us. Sometimes though, that belief is a leap of faith in itself. We look for scientific evidence – something we can prove in moments of doubt. But instead of letting God show up in the way that God sees fit, do have we unspoken expectations? Is there one particular thing you are waiting to see to be reassured that God is with you?
Sometimes we long for a miracle, a burning bush or some other Biblical sign from the heavens. In all honesty, I think most of the time what we want is for God to make our wishes come true and if we don’t get what we want, if life is challenging or inconvenient in some way, we take it to mean that God is far from us.
In Matthew 21, Jesus suddenly shows up in Jerusalem acting like a King, catching everyone off guard. They had a concept in mind of how a King would appear and it didn’t look like this. Would they release expectations enough to receive what God had to offer? To sing Hosanna over this good King requires setting aside expectations and welcoming the creative, beautiful, unexpected moments that catch our attention.
- What is one thing you are hoping to see today to be reassured that God is with you?
- If God showed up in a way that you didn’t expect, is your heart open to welcome it?
- In what ways do we tend to put God in a box?
Wesley’s Challenge Questions for the Week:
- Do I think God that I am not as other people?
- IS there anyone whom I fear, dislike, disown, criticize, hold a resentment toward or disregard? If so, what am I doing about it?